Difference between revisions of "Programming Auto-Completion System"
(Created page with "A Programming Auto-Completion System is a Code Auto-Completion System that can solve a Programming Auto-Completion Task by implementing a Programming Auto-Comple...")
Revision as of 06:29, 12 October 2019
- AKA: Programming Completion System, Programming Environment Code Completion System.
- It can be part of an Integrated Development Environment Code Auto-Completion System.
- See: Computer Program, Programming Language, Human-Computer Interaction, Editing System, Language Model, Natural Language Inference System, Natural Language Processing System, Code Generating System, Pattern Mining System.
- (Wikipedia, 2019) ⇒ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocomplete#In_source_code_editors Retrieved:2019-10-11.
- Autocomplete of source code is also known as code completion. In a source code editor autocomplete is greatly simplified by the regular structure of the programming languages. There are usually only a limited number of words meaningful in the current context or namespace, such as names of variables and functions. An example of code completion is Microsoft's IntelliSense design. It involves showing a pop-up list of possible completions for the current input prefix to allow the user to choose the right one. This is particularly useful in object-oriented programming because often the programmer will not know exactly what members a particular class has. Therefore, autocomplete then serves as a form of convenient documentation as well as an input method. Another beneficial feature of autocomplete for source code is that it encourages the programmers to use longer, more descriptive variable names incorporating both lower and upper case letters (CamelCase), hence making the source code more readable. Typing large words with many mixed cases like "numberOfWordsPerParagraph" can be difficult, but Autocomplete allows one to complete typing the word using a fraction of the keystrokes.