See: Publication Referencer, Virtual Referencer, Digital Publication Referencer.
- OCLC (2007)
- Using computer and communications technology to provide reference service to patrons anytime and anywhere.
- The American Library Association’s Reference & User Services Association (RUSA, 2004)
- Virtual reference is reference service initiated electronically, often in real-time, where patrons employ computers or other Internet technology to communicate with reference staff, without being physically present. Communication channels used frequently in virtual reference include chat, videoconferencing, Voice over IP, co-browsing, e-mail, and instant messaging.
- Digital Reference Research Agenda (Lankes et al., 2003):
- The use of human intermediation to answer questions in a digital environment.