(Redirected from description)
- AKA: Describe, Descriptive Expression, Describing.
- It can be an Informal Definition.
- See: Definition, Explicit Referencer, Referring Expression, Definite Description, Indefinite Description, Descriptive Linguistics.
- (WordNet, 2009) ⇒ http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=description
- S: (n) description, verbal description (a statement that represents something in words)
- S: (n) description (the act of describing something)
- S: (n) description (sort or variety) "every description of book was there"
- 1. A sketch or account of anything in words; a portraiture or representation in language; an enumeration of the essential qualities of a thing or species.
- 2. The act of describing; a delineation by marks or signs.
- 3. A set of characteristics by which someone or something can be recognized.
- "Based on her 'description of X, we ..."
- "Although much of his 'description of X is accurate ..."
- “A theoretical description of the new phases of liquid 3 He..”
- (Bach, 2008) ⇒ Kent Bach. (2008). “On Referring and Not Referring.” In: Reference: Interdisciplinary Perspectives." Jeanette K. Gundel and Nancy Hedberg, editors. Oxford University Press.
- QUOTE: Referring is not as easy as is commonly supposed. Much of what speaker do that passes for referring really isn't but is merely alluding or describing.