(Redirected from sensor)
- AKA: Detector, Sense Element, Sensing Device.
- See: Sensor Record, Data Value, Sensing Task, Percept.
- (WordNet, 2009) ⇒ http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=sensor
- S: (n) detector, sensor, sensing element (any device that receives a signal or stimulus (as heat or pressure or light or motion etc.) and responds to it in a distinctive manner)
- A sensor is a device that measures a physical quantity and converts it into a signal which can be read by an observer or by an instrument. For example, a mercury-in-glass thermometer converts the measured temperature into expansion and contraction of a liquid which can be read on a calibrated glass tube. A thermocouple converts temperature to an output voltage which can be read by a voltmeter. For accuracy, all sensors need to be calibrated against known standards.
- 1. A device capable of registering a specific substance or physical phenomenon. Smoke detectors are mandatory in public buildings.