Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Berners-Lee et al., 2001) ⇒ Tim Berners-Lee, James Hendler, Ora Lassila. (2001). “The Semantic Web.” In: Scientific American, 284(5).
- Article PDF Link: https://eecs.ceas.uc.edu/~mazlack/ECE.716.Sp2011/Berners.2001.pdf
- Google Scholar: ~24,202 Citations (Retrieved: 2019-10-20).
- Semantic Scholar: ~ 6,997 Citations (Retrieved: 2019-10-20).
- (Doan et al., 2002) ⇒ AnHai Doan, Jayant Madhavan, Pedro Domingos, and Alon Y. Halevy. (2002). “Learning to Map Between Ontologies on the Semantic Web.” In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW 2002). doi:10.1145/511446.511532
- The Semantic Web will bring structure to the meaningful content of Web pages, creating an environment where software agents roaming from page to page can readily carry out sophisticated tasks for users. Such an agent coming to the clinic's Web page will know not just that the page has keywords such as "treatment, medicine, physical, therapy" (as might be encoded today) but also that Dr. Hartman works at this clinic on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and that the script takes a date range in yyyy-mm-dd format and returns appointment times. And it will "know" all this without needing artificial intelligence on the scale of 2001's Hal or Star Wars's C-3PO. Instead these semantics were encoded into the Web page when the clinic's office manager (who never took Comp Sci 101) massaged it into shape using off-the-shelf software for writing Semantic Web pages along with resources listed on the Physical Therapy Association's site.
- The Semantic Web, in naming every concept simply by a URI, lets anyone express new concepts that they invent with minimal effort. Its unifying logical language will enable these concepts to be progressively linked into a universal Web. This structure will open up the knowledge and workings of humankind to meaningful analysis by software agents, providing a new class of tools by which we can live, work and learn together.
|2001 TheSemanticWeb||Tim Berners-Lee|
|The Semantic Web||http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-semantic-web|