- (Sag et al., 2003) ⇒ Ivan A. Sag, Thomas Wasow, Emily M. Bender. (2003). “Syntactic Theory: A Formal Introduction, 2nd edition.” In: Center for the Study of Language and Information. ISBN:1575863995
- It includes a Type Hierarchy between Lememe, Expression, Phrase, and Word.
- It analyzes the role of Compound Nouns.
- It suggests that Lexical Entries serve as the basis for constructing Words and Words serve as the building blocks for Syntactic Structures.
- It is an External Reference for Natural Language Grammar, Syntax, Lexeme, Lexical Entry, Lexicon, Idiom, Dummy Pronoun.
- It includes a Post-Inflectional Rule into its Syntactic Theory.
- It is the 2nd edition to (Sag et al., 1999).
- Book Website: http://hpsg.ling.washington.edu/book/
- PDF: https://goo.gl/2qWLp7
This second edition of Syntactic Theory: A Formal Introduction expands and improves upon a truly unique introductory syntax textbook. Like the first edition, its focus is on the development of precisely formulated grammars whose empirical predictions can be directly tested. There is also considerable emphasis on the prediction and evaluation of grammatical hypotheses, as well as on integrating syntactic hypotheses with matters of semantic analysis. The book covers the core areas of English syntax from the last quarter century, including complementation, control, "raising constructions," passives, the auxiliary system, and the analysis of long distance dependency constructions.Syntactic Theory's step-by-step introduction to a consistent grammar in these core areas is complemented by extensive problem sets drawing from a variety of languages. The book's theoretical perspective is presented in the context of current models of language processing, and the practical value of the constraint-based, lexicalist grammatical architecture proposed has already been demonstrated in computer language processing applications. This thoroughly reworked second edition includes revised and extended problem sets, updated analyses, additional examples, and more detailed exposition throughout. Praise for the first edition:"Syntactic Theory sets a new standard for introductory syntax volumes that all future books should be measured against.
AUTHOR = "Ivan A. Sag, Thomas Wasow, and Emily M. Bender", TITLE = "Syntactic Theory: A Formal Introduction, 2nd edition", YEAR = "2003", PUBLISHER = "CSLI",
|2003 SyntacticTheory||Ivan A. Sag|
Emily M. Bender
|Syntactic Theory: A Formal Introduction, 2nd edition||Center for the Study of Language and Information||http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/site/1575864002.html||2003|