- (Newcombe and Kennedy, 1962) ⇒ Howard B. Newcombe, James M. Kennedy. (1962). “Record Linkage: Making maximum use of the discriminating power of identifying information.” In: Communications of the ACM, 5(11). doi:10.1145/368996.369026
- It extends the work in (Newcombe et al., 1959)
- ~144 http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22Record+Linkage%3A+Making+maximum+use+of+the+discriminating+power+of+identifying+information%22+1962
Special difficulties are encountered in devising reliable systems for searching and updating any large files of documents that must be identified primarily on the basis of names and other personal particulars. The underlying problem is that of making nearly maximum use of items of identifying information that are individually unreliable but that may collectively be of considerable discriminating power. Rules that can be applied generally to name retrieval systems have been developed In a methodological study of the linkage of vital and health records into family groupings for demographic research purposes. These rules are described, and the ways in which information utilization for matching may be optimized are discussed.
- 1 The rules of Soundex coding are given in the Notes at the end
- 2 HOGBEN, L., JOHNSTONE, M. M., AND CROSS, K. W. Identification of uledical documents. British Med. J. (Apr. 1948), 632-635.
- 3 HOGBEN, L., AND CROSS, K. W. The statistical specificity of a code personnel cypher sequence. British J . Soc. Med. 2, 4 (1948), 149-152.
- 4 Modern coding methods. IBM Booklet 32-3793-6, pp. 24-25.
- 5 Leon Davidson, Retrieval of misspelled names in an airlines passenger record system, Communications of the ACM, v.5 n.3, p.169-171, March 1962 doi:10.1145/366862.366913
- 6 STARK, MARTIN C. Address coding in an automatic mall sorting system. Nat. Bur. Standards Report 4959, Washington, D.C.
- 7 (Newcombe et al., 1959) ⇒ Howard B. Newcombe, James M. Kennedy, S. J. Axford, and A. P. James. (1959). “Automatic linkage of vital records.” In: Science, 130.
- 8 Howard B. Newcombe, AND RHYNAS, P. O. W. Family linkage of population records. In The Use of Vital and Health Statistics for Genetic and Radiation Studies, pp. 135-154, Proceedings of Seminar sponsored by the United Nations and the World Health Organization. United Nations Publication, Sales No.: 61. XVII. 8 (1962).
- 9 KENNEDY, J. M. The use of a digital computer for record linkage. In The Use of Vital and Health Statistics for Genetic and Radiation Studies, pp. 155-159, Proceedings of Seminar sponsored by the United Nations and the World Health Organization. United Nations Publ., Sales No. : 61. XVII. 8 (1962).
- 10 KENNEDY, J. M. Linkage of birth and marriage records using a digital computer. AECL Report No. 1258. (1915), Atomic Energy of Canada, Ltd., Chalk River, Ont., Canada.,
|1962 RecordLinkage||Howard B. Newcombe|
James M. Kennedy
|Record Linkage: Making maximum use of the discriminating power of identifying information||Communications of the ACM||10.1145/368996.369026||1962|