- (Buitelaar et al., 2005b) ⇒ Paul Buitelaar, Philipp Cimiano, and Bernardo Magnini. (2005). “Ontology Learning from Text: An Overview.” In: (Builtelaar et al., 2005).
Subject Headings: Ontology Learning Task
- ~82 ...
This volume brings together a collection of extended versions of selected papers from two workshops on ontology learning, knowledge acquisition and related topics that were organized in the context of the European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) 2004 and the International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Management (EKAW) 2004.
The volume presents current research in ontology learning, addressing three perspectives: methodologies that have been proposed to automatically extract information from texts and to give a structured organization to such knowledge, including approaches based on machine learning techniques; evaluation methods for ontology learning, aiming at defining procedures and metrics for a quantitative evaluation of the ontology learning task; and finally application scenarios that make ontology learning a challenging area in the context of real applications such as bio-informatics.
According to the three perspectives mentioned above, the volume is divided into three sections, each including a selection of papers addressing respectively the methods, the applications and the evaluation of ontology learning approaches. However, all selected papers pay considerably attention to the evaluation perspective, as this was a central topic of the ECAI 2004 workshop out of which most of the papers in this volume originate.
- M. Baroni and S. Bisi. Using cooccurrence statistics & the web to discover synonyms in a technical language. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, volume 5, pages 1725–1728, 2004.
- D. Borigault, Christian Jacquemin, and M.-C. L’Homme, editors. Recent Advances in Computational Terminology. John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2001.
- Paul Buitelaar. Semantic lexicons: Between terminology and ontology. In K. Simov and A. Kiryakov, editors, Ontologies and Lexical Knowledge Bases, pages 16–24. 2000.
- Paul Buitelaar, Daniel Olejnik, and Michael Sintek. A protégé plug-in for ontology extraction from text based on linguistic analysis. In: Proceedings of the 1st European Semantic Web Symposium (ESWS), 2004.
- Paul Buitelaar, and Bogdan Sacaleanu. Extending synsets with medical terms. In: Proceedings of the First International WordNet Conference, 2002.
- Philipp Cimiano. Ontology Learning and Population: Algorithms, Evaluation and Applications. PhD thesis, University of Karlsruhe, (2005). forthcoming.
- Philipp Cimiano, Andreas Hotho, and Steffen Staab. Learning concept hierarchies from text corpora using formal concept analysis. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, (2005). to appear.
- M. Ciramita, A. Gangemi, E. Ratsch, J. Saric, and I. Rojas. Unsupervised learning of semantic relations between concepts of a molecular biology ontology. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, (2005). accepted for publication.
- I. Dagan, O. Glickman, and Bernardo Magnini, editors. The PASCAL Recognising Textual Entailment Challenge., 2005.
- I. Dagan, O. Glickman, and Bernardo Magnini. The pascal recognizing textual entailment challenge. In: Proceedings of the PASCAL workshop on Recognizing Textual Entailment, Southampton, UK, April 11-13, 2005.
- Oren Etzioni, Michael J. Cafarella, D. Downey, S. Kok, A.-M. Popescu, T. Shaked, S. Soderland, D.S. Weld, and A. Yates. Web-scale information extraction in KnowItAll (preliminary results). In: Proceedings of the 13th World Wide Web Conference, pages 100–109, 2004.
- R. Evans. A framework for named entity recognition in the open domain. In: Proceedings of the Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing (RANLP-2003), pages 137–144, 2003.
- D. Faure and C. Nedellec. A corpus-based conceptual clustering method for verb frames and ontology. In Paola Velardi, editor, Proceedings of the LREC Workshop on Adapting lexical and corpus resources to sublanguages and applications, pages 5–12, 1998.
- K. Frantzi and Sophia Ananiadou. The c-value / nc-value domain independent method for multiword term extraction. Journal of Natural Language Processing, 6(3):145–179, 1999.
- P. Gamallo, M. Gonzalez, A. Agustini, G. Lopes, and V. S. de Lima. Mapping syntactic dependencies onto semantic relations. In: Proceedings of the ECAI Workshop on Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing for Ontology Engineering, 2002.
- A. Gomez-Perez and D. Manzano-Macho. A survey of ontology learning methods and techniques. deliverable 1.5, ontoweb project, 2003.
- Gregory Grefenstette. Explorations in Authomatic Thesaurus Construction. Kluwer, 1994.
- T. Gruber. Towards principles for the design of ontologies used for knowledge sharing. International J. of Human and Computer Studies, 43:907–928, 1994.
- Z. Harris. Mathematical Structures of Language. John Wiley & Sons, 1968.
- M.A. Hearst. Automatic acquisition of hyponyms from large text corpora. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, pages 539–545, 1992.
- D. Hindle. Noun classification from predicate-argument structures. In: Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, pages 268–275, 1990.
- J.-U. Kietz, Alexander Maedche, and R. Volz. A method for semi-automatic ontology acquisition from a corporate intranet. In EKAW’2000 Workshop on Ontologies and Text, 2000.
- T.K. Landauer and S.T. Dumais. A solution to plato’s problem: The latent semantic analysis theory of acquisition, induction and representation of knowledge. Psychological Review, 104:211–240, 1997.
- M. Lesk. Automatic sense disambiguation using machine readable dictionaries: How to tell a pine cone from an ice cream cone. In ACM SIGDOC ’86, The Fifth International Conference on Systems Documentation, 1986.
- Dekang Lin and P. Pantel. Dirt - discovery of inference rules from text. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pages 323–328, 2001.
- Dekang Lin and P. Pantel. Induction of semantic classes from natural language text. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pages 317–322, 2001.
- Dekang Lin and P. Pantel. Concept discovery from text. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), pages 577–583, 2002.
- Alexander Maedche. Ontology Learning for the Semantic Web. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Alexander Maedche and Steffen Staab. Discovering conceptual relations from text. In W. Horn, editor, Proceedings of the 14th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI’2000), 2000.
- Bernardo Magnini and Carlo Strapparava. Experiments in word domain disambiguation for parallel texts. In ACL workshop on Word Senses and Multilinguality, 2000.
- Roberto Navigli and Paola Velardi. Learning domain ontologies from document warehouses and dedicated web sites. Computational Linguistics, 50, 2004.
- Patrick Pantel and Dekang Lin. A statistical corpus-based term extractor. In E. Stroulia and Stan Matwin, editors, AI 2001, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intellingence, pages 36–46. Springer Verlag, 2001.
- James Pustejovsky, J. Castano, J. Zhang, B. Cochran, and M. Kotecki. Robust relational parsing over biomedical literature: Extracting inhibit relations. In Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, 2002.
- Philip Resnik. Selection and information: A class-based approach to lexical relationships, 1993.
- T. Rindflesch, L. Tanabe, J.Weinstein, and L. Hunter. Edgar: Extraction of drugs, genes, and relations from biomedical literature. In Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, 2000.
- Gerard M. Salton and C. Buckley. Term-weighting approaches in automatic text retrieval. Information Processing & Management, 24(5):515–523, 1988.
- M. Sanderson and B. Croft. Deriving concept hierarchies from text. In Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pages 206–213. 1999.
- Hinrich Schütze. Word space. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 5,
- D. Turcato, F. Popowich, J. Toole, D. Fass, D. Nicholson, and G. Tisher. Adapting a synonym database to specific domains. In L’2000 Workshop on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval, 2000.
- Peter D. Turney. Mining the web for synonyms: Pmi-ir versus lsa on toefl. In: Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Machine Learning, pages 491 – 502, 2001.
- Spela Vintar, Ljupco Todorovski, Daniel Sonntag, and Paul Buitelaar. Evaluating context features for medical relation mining. In ECML/PKDD Workshop on Data Mining and Text Mining for Bioinformatics, 2003.
- David Yarowsky. Word-sense disambiguation using statistical models of roget’s categories trained on large corpora. In COLING-92, Nantes, 1992.,
|2005 OntologyLearningFromTextOverview||Paul Buitelaar|
|Ontology Learning from Text: An Overview||http://books.google.com/books?id=gikMilZMFMMC||2005|