- Albert Einstein (while at Princeton).
- See: Academic Discipline, Academic Research, Scholarly, Academic, Basic Researcher, Theoretician, Theoretical Researcher.
- (Wikipedia, 2016) ⇒ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academia#Academic_personnel Retrieved:2016-10-2.
- (Hoare, 2009) ⇒ C. A. R. Hoare. (2009). “Retrospective: an axiomatic basis for computer programming.” In: Communications of the ACM, 52(10). doi:10.1145/1562764.1562779
- QUOTE: In 1969, I was afraid industrial research would dispose such vastly superior resources that the academic researcher would be well advised to withdraw from competition and move to a new area of research. But again, I was wrong. Pure academic research and applied industrial research are complementary, and should be pursued concurrently and in collaboration. The goal of industrial research is (and should always be) to pluck the 'low-hanging fruit'; that is, to solve the easiest parts of the most prevalent problems, in the particular circumstances of here and now. But the goal of the pure research scientist is exactly the opposite: it is to construct the most general theories, covering the widest possible range of phenomena, and to seek certainty of knowledge that will endure for future generations. It is to avoid the compromises so essential to engineering, and to seek ideals like accuracy of measurement, purity of materials, and correctness of programs, far beyond the current perceived needs of industry or popularity in the market-place. For this reason, it is only scientific research that can prepare mankind for the unknown unknowns of the forever uncertain future.
- Nick Bostrom. (2008). “are they? Why I hope the search for extraterrestrial life finds nothing.” In: Technology Review (2008): 72-78.
- QUOTE: … Expensive instruments, however, have a way of lending scientific status and respectability to a field of inquiry. Academics are keen to put as much distance as possible between themselves and the kooks and cranks that flock to these big questions. If large telescopes, NASA satellites, and complicated mathematical data analysis are involved, it becomes harder for outside observers to mistake the work for the ramblings of UFO-nuts and other crackpots. …