- (Melli, 1996) ⇒ Gabor Melli. (1996). “Ad Hoc Attribute-Value Prediction.” In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 1996).
Subject Headings: Lazy Model-based Supervised Classification Algorithm, Lazy Decision Tree Algorithm.
- (Melli, 1998) ⇒ Gabor Melli. (1998). “A Lazy Model-based Approach to On-Line Classification." Master's Thesis, Simon Fraser University.
The evolving ease and efficiency in accessing large amounts of data presents an opportunity to execute prediction tasks based on this data (Hunt, Marin, & Stone 1964). Research in learning-from-example has addressed this opportunity with algorithms that induce either decision structures (ID3) or classification rules (AQ15). Lazy learning research on the other hand, delay the model construction to strictly satisfy a prediction task (Aha, Kibler, & Albert 1991). To support a prediction query against a data set, current techniques require a large amount of preprocessing to either construct a complete domain model, or to determine attribute relevance. Our work in this area is to develop an algorithm that will automatically return a probabilistic classification rule for a prediction query with equal accuracy to current techniques but with no pre-processing requirements. The proposed algorithm, DBPredictor, combines the delayed model construction approach of lazy learning along with the information theoretic measure and top-down heuristic search of learning-from-example algorithms. The algorithm induces only the information required to satisfy the prediction query and avoids the attribute relevance tests required
- (Aha et al., 1991) ⇒ David W. Aha, Dennis Kibler, and Marc K. Albert. (1991). “Instance-based Learning Algorithms.” In: Machine Learning, 6(1). doi:10.1023/A:1022689900470.
- (Hunt et al., 1964) ⇒ Earl B. Hunt, Janet Marin, and Philip J. Stone. (1964). “Experiments in Induction.” New York Academic Press.
- (Smyth & Goodman, 1992) ⇒ Padhraic Smyth, and Rodney M. Goodman. (1992). “An Information Theoretic Approach to Rule Induction.” In: IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 4(4).
|1996 AdHocAttributeValuePrediction||Gabor Melli||Ad Hoc Attribute-Value Prediction||https://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1996/AAAI96-247.pdf|