- (Melli, 1999a) ⇒ Gabor Melli. (1999). “A Lazy Model-based Algorithm for On-Line Classification.” In: Proceedings of the Third Pacific-Asia Conference on Methodologies for Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD-99).
- (Morfonios, 2007) ⇒ Konstantinos Morfonios. (2007). “Database Implementation of a Model-free Classifier.” In: Advances in Databases and Information Systems, pp. 83-97 . Springer Berlin Heidelberg,
This paper presents a lazy model-based algorithm, named DBPredictor, for on-line classification tasks. The algorithm proposes a local discretization process to avoid the need for a lengthy preprocess stage. Another advantage of this approach is the ability to implement the algorithm with tightly-coupled SQL relational database queries. To test the algorithm’s performance in the presence of continuous attributes an empirical test is reported against both an eager model-based algorithm (C4.5) and a lazy instance-based algorithm (k-NN).
- AAAI. Thirteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence. AAAI Press, 1996.
- Rakesh Agrawal and J. C. Shafer. Parallel mining of association rules: Design, implementation, and experience. IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Engineering, 8:962–969, 1996.
- David W. Aha, editor. Lazy Learning. Kluwer Academic, May 1997.
- David W. Aha, D. Kibler, and M. K. Albert. Instance-based learning algorithms. Machine Learning, 6(1):37–66, 1991.
- Pedro Domingos. Unifying instance-based and rule-based induction. Machine Learning, 24(2):141–168, August 1996.
- Jerome H. Friedman, Ron Kohavi, and Y. Yun. Lazy decision trees. , pages 717–724.
- George H. John and B. Lent. (1997). “SIPping from the data firehose.” In: Proceedings, Third International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pages 199–202. AAAI Press.
- Gabor Melli. Ad hoc attribute-value prediction. , page 1396.
- Gabor Melli. Knowledge based on-line classification. Master’s thesis, Simon Fraser University, School of Computing Science, April 1998.
- P. M. Murphy and David W. Aha. UCI repository of machine learning databases. Irvine, CA: University of California, Department of Information and Computer Science, 1995. ftp://ics.uci.edu/pub/machine-learning-databases.
- J. Ross Quinlan. C4.5: Programs for Machine Learning. Morgan Kaufmann, 1993.
- J. Ross Quinlan. Improved use of continuous attributes in C4.5. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 4:77–90, March 1996.