- (Popov et al., 2003a) ⇒ Borislav Popov, Atanas Kiryakov, Damyan Ognyanoff, Dimitar Manov, Angel Kirilov, and Miroslav Goranov. (2003). “KIM - Semantic Annotation Platform.” In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Semantic Web Conference (IWSC 2003). doi:10.1007/b14287.
Subject Headings: KIM System, Semantic Annotation System, Ontology Population System.
- (Hassell et al., 2006) ⇒ Joseph Hassell, Boanerges Aleman-Meza, and I. Budak Arpinar. (2006). “Ontology-driven automatic entity disambiguation in unstructured text.” In: Proceedings of the 5th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC). doi:10.1007/11926078
- KIM is an application that aims to be an automatic ontology population system that runs over text documents to provide content for the Semantic Web . The KIM platform has many components that are unrelated to our work but within these components, there is an entity recognition portion. KIM disambiguates entities within a document by using a natural language processor and then attempts to index these entities. The evaluation of the KIM system is done by comparing the results to human-annotated corpora, much like our method of evaluation.
The KIM platform provides a novel Knowledge and Information Management infrastructure and services for automatic semantic annotation, indexing, and retrieval of documents. It provides mature infrastructure for scaleable and customizable information extraction (IE1) as well as annotation and document management, based on GATE2. In order to provide basic level of performance and allow easy bootstrapping of applications, KIM is equipped with an upper-level ontology and a knowledge base providing extensive coverage of entities of general importance. The ontologies and knowledge bases involved are handled using cutting edge Semantic Web technology and standards, including RDF(S) repositories, ontology middleware and reasoning.
From technical point of view, the platform allows KIM-based applications to use it for automatic semantic annotation, content retrieval based on semantic restrictions, and querying and modifying the underlying ontologies and knowledge bases. This paper presents the KIM platform, with emphasize on its architecture, interfaces, tools, and other technical issues.
- Bontcheva, K., Kiryakov, A., Hamish Cunningham, Popov, B. and Dimitrov, M. (2003). Semantic Web enabled, open source language technology. Proceedings of EACL Workshop "Language Technology and the Semantic Web", NLPXML-2003.
- Kalina Bontcheva, Valentin Tablan, Diana Maynard, Hamish Cunningham, Evolving GATE to meet new challenges in language engineering, Natural Language Engineering, v.10 n.3-4, p.349-373, September 2004 doi:10.1017/S1351324904003468
- Leslie Carr, Wendy Hall, Sean Bechhofer, Carole Goble, Conceptual linking: ontology-based open hypermedia, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on World Wide Web, p.334-342, May 01-05, 2001, Hong Kong, Hong Kong doi:10.1145/371920.372084
- Fabio Ciravegna, Alexiei Dingli, Daniela Petrelli, Yorick Wilks, User-System Cooperation in Document Annotation Based on Information Extraction, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management. Ontologies and the Semantic Web, p.122-137, October 01-04, 2002
- Collier, N., Takeuchi, K. and Kawazoe, A. (2003). Open ontology forge: an environment for text mining in a wemantic Web world. Proceedings of International Workshop on Semantic Web Foundations and Application Technologies, Nara, Japan.
- Hamish Cunningham (1999) Information Extraction: a User Guide (revised version). Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield.
- Hamish Cunningham, Diana Maynard, Bontcheva, K. and Tablan, V. (2002). GATE: A framework and graphical development environment for robust NLP tools and applications. Proceedings of 40th Anniversary Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- (Davies et al., 2002) ⇒ John Davies, Richard Weeks, and U. Krohn. (2002). “QuizRDF: Search technology for the semantic web.” In: John Davies (editor), Dieter Fensel (editor), Frank van Harmelen (editor). (2002). “Towards the Semantic Web: Ontology-Driven Knowledge Management." Wiley. ISBN:0470848677
- Stephen Dill, Nadav Eiron, David Gibson, Daniel Gruhl, Ramanathan V. Guha, Anant Jhingran, Tapas Kanungo, Sridhar Rajagopalan, Andrew Tomkins, John A. Tomlin, Jason Y. Zien, SemTag and seeker: bootstrapping the semantic web via automated semantic annotation, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on World Wide Web, May 20-24, 2003, Budapest, Hungary doi:10.1145/775152.775178
- Siegfried Handschuh, Steffen Staab, Fabio Ciravegna, S-CREAM - Semi-automatic CREAtion of Metadata, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management. Ontologies and the Semantic Web, p.358-372, October 01-04, 2002
- José Kahan, Marja-Ritta Koivunen, Annotea: an open RDF infrastructure for shared Web annotations, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on World Wide Web, p.623-632, May 01-05, 2001, Hong Kong, Hong Kong doi:10.1145/371920.372166
- Kiryakov, A., Popov, B., Kirilov, A., Manov, D. and Ognyanoff, D. (2004). Semantic annotation, indexing, and retrieval. Issue based on International Semantic Web Conference 2003 papers. Semantic Web J. To appear.
- Nicholas Kushmerick, Wrapper induction: efficiency and expressiveness, Artificial Intelligence, v.118 n.1-2, p.15-68, April 2000 doi:10.1016/S0004-3702(99)00100-9
- Mahesh, K., Kud, J. and Dixon, P. (1999) Oracle at TREC8: A lexical approach. Proceedings of Eighth Text Retrieval Conference (TREC-8).
- Diana Maynard, Tablan, V., Bontcheva, K., Hamish Cunningham and Wilks, Y. (2003). MUlti-Source Entity recognition - an Information Extraction System for Diverse Text Types. Technical report CS-02-03, Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield. http://gate.ac.uk/gate/doc/papers.html.
- Andrei Mikheev, Marc Moens, Claire Grover, Named Entity recognition without gazetteers, Proceedings of the ninth conference on European chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, June 08-12, 1999, Bergen, Norway doi:10.3115/977035.977037
- Dan Moldovan and Rada Mihalcea (2001) Document indexing using named entities. Stud. in Informatics & Control 10(1).
- James Pustejovsky, Boguraev, B., Verhagen, M., Buitelaar, P. and Johnston, M. (1997) Semantic indexing and typed hyperlinking. Proceedings of AAAI Conference, Spring Symposium, NLP for WWW, pp. 120-128. Stanford, CA.
- Maria Vargas-Vera, Enrico Motta, John Domingue, Mattia Lanzoni, Arthur Stutt, Fabio Ciravegna, MnM: Ontology Driven Semi-automatic and Automatic Support for Semantic Markup, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management. Ontologies and the Semantic Web, p.379-391, October 01-04, 2002
- Ellen Voorhees. (1998) Using WordNet for text retrieval. In: Christiane Fellbaum, editor, WordNet: An electronic lexical database. MIT Press.
|Author||Borislav Popov +, Atanas Kiryakov +, Damyan Ognyanoff +, Dimitar Manov +, Angel Kirilov + and Miroslav Goranov +|
|journal||Proceedings of the 2nd International Semantic Web Conference +|
|title||KIM - Semantic Annotation Platform +|
|titleUrl||http://ontotext.com/publications/KIM SAP ISWC168.pdf +|