- (Müller & Bostrom, 2014) ⇒ Vincent C. Müller, and Nick Bostrom. (2014). “Future Progress in Artificial Intelligence: A Poll Among Experts.” In: AI Matters Journal, 1(1). doi:10.1145/2639475.2639478
- This is an abridge version of a later longer paper.
In some quarters, there is intense concern about high-level machine intelligence and superintelligent AI coming up in a few decades, bringing with it significant risks for humanity; in other quarters, these issues are ignored or considered science fiction. We wanted to clarify what the distribution of opinions actually is, what probability the best experts currently assign to high-level machine intelligence coming up within a particular timeframe, which risks they see with that development and how fast they see these developing. We thus designed a brief questionnaire and distributed it to four groups of experts. Overall, the results show an agreement among experts that AI systems will probably reach overall human ability around 2040-2050 and move on to superintelligence in30 years thereafter. The experts say the probability is about one in three that this development turns out to be 'bad' or 'extremely bad' for humanity.
- 1. Baum, S. D., Goertzel, B., & Goertzel, T. G. (2011). How Long Until Human-level AI? Results from An Expert Assessment. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 78 (1), 185--195.
- 2. Bostrom, N. (2014). Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 3. Michie, D. (1973). Machines and the Theory of Intelligence. Nature, 241 (23.02.1973), 507--512.
- 4. Moor, J. H. (2006). The Dartmouth College Artificial Intelligence Conference: The Next Fifty Years. AI Magazine, 27 (4), 87--91.
- 5. Müller, V. C. (Ed.). (2012). Theory and Philosophy of AI (Vol. 22/2 - Special Volume): Springer.
- 6. Müller, V. C. (Ed.). (2013). Theory and Philosophy of AI (Vol. 5). Berlin: Springer.
- 7. Müller, V. C. (Ed.). (2014). Risks of Artificial General Intelligence (Vol. 26/3 - Special Volume): Taylor & Francis.
- 8. Sandberg, A., & Bostrom, N. (2011). Machine Intelligence Survey. FHI Technical Report, 2011(1). Available from http://www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/research/publications/;
|2014 FutureProgressinArtificialIntel||Vincent C. Müller|
|Future Progress in Artificial Intelligence: A Poll Among Experts||10.1145/2639475.2639478||2014|