Carmen M. Reinhart
- Google Author's Page: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=rvtSK2oAAAAJ
- Personal Homepage: http://www.carmenreinhart.com/
- Wikipedia Person Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Reinhart
- (Reinhart et al., 2012) ⇒ Carmen M. Reinhart, Vincent R Reinhart, and Kenneth S Rogoff. (2012). “Public Debt Overhangs: Advanced-economy Episodes Since 1800." JSTOR. doi:10.1257/jep.26.3.69
- (Reinhart & Rogoff, 2009) ⇒ Carmen M. Reinhart, and Kenneth Rogoff. (2009). “This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly." Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691142165
- (Kaminsky & Reinhart, 1999) ⇒ Graciela L. Kaminsky, and Carmen M. Reinhart. (1999). “The Twin Crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems.” In: American Economic Review, 89(3). doi:10.1257/aer.89.3.473
- ABSTRACT: In the wake of the Mexican and Asian currency turmoil, the subject of financial crises have come to the forefront of academic and policy discussions. This paper analyzes the links between banking and currency crises. The authors find that problems in the banking sector typically precede a currency crisis -- the currency crisis deepens the banking crisis, activating a vicious spiral; financial liberalization often precedes banking crises. The anatomy of these episodes suggests that crises occur as the economy enters a recession, following a prolonged boom in economic activity that was fueled by credit, capital inflows, and accompanied by an overvalued currency.