- It can be performed by a Computing System (that implements an Algorithm).
- It can range from being a Human-based Computation Task to being a Hybrid Computation Task to being an Automated Computation Task.
- It can range from being a Performed Computation to being an Unperformed Computation.
- It can range from being an Exact Computation Task to being an Approximate Computation Task.
- It can range from being a Tractable Computational Task to being an Intractable Computational Task.
- It can be solved by a Computing System (that applies a computing algorithm).
- It can support a Computing Application (such as a spreadsheet application or a credit scoring application).
- See: Algorithm.
- (WordNet, 2009) ⇒ http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=calculation
- S: (n) calculation, computation, computing (the procedure of calculating; determining something by mathematical or logical methods)
- S: (n) calculation, computation, figuring, reckoning (problem solving that involves numbers or quantities)
- S: (n) calculation, deliberation (planning something carefully and intentionally) "it was the deliberation of his act that was insulting"
- A calculation is a deliberate process for transforming one or more inputs into one or more results, with variable change.
- The term is used in a variety of senses, from the very definite arithmetical calculation using an algorithm to the vague heuristics of calculating a strategy in a competition or calculating the chance of a successful relationship between two people.
- Multiplying 7 by 8 is a simple algorithmic calculation.
- Estimating the fair price for financial instruments using the Black-Scholes model is a complex algorithmic calculation.
- Statistical estimations of the likely election results from opinion polls also involve algorithmic calculations, but give results that are ranges of possibilities rather than exact answers.
- Deciding the best way to build a relationship with a member of the opposite sex may also result from a calculation, but is not definite, predictable, nor even clearly defined. This indefinite application of the term gives it a second area of meaning apart from the mathematical senses mentioned above.
- To calculate means to ascertain by computing.