A Sialyltransferase is an enzyme with the general formula Cmp-N-Acetylneuraminate:acceptor N-Acetylneuraminyl Transferase. They Catalyze the transfer of N-Acetylneuraminic Acid from Cmp-N-Acetylneuraminic Acid to an acceptor, which is usually the terminal sugar residue of an Oligosaccharide, a glycoprotein, or a glycolipid. .
- Pasteurella Multocida Subsp. Multocida http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/Q9CNC48
- PMID 4960932: “Pasteurella multocida subsp. multocida is a commensal and opportunistic pathogen of food animals, wildlife, and pets and a zoonotic cause of human infection arising from contacts with these animals. Here, an investigation of multiple serotype A strains demonstrated the occurrence of membrane sialyltransferase”
- See: Pasteurella Multocida
- (Wikipedia, 2009) ⇒ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sialyltransferase
- Sialyltransferases are enzymes that transfer sialic acid to nascent oligosaccharide.Each sialyltransferase is specific for a particular sugar substrate. Sialyltransferases add sialic acid to the terminal portions of the sialylated glycolipids (gangliosides) or to the N- or O-linked sugar chains of glycoproteins.
- There are about twenty different sialyltransferases which can be distinguished on the basis of the acceptor structure on which they act and on the type of sugar linkage they form. For example, a group of sialyltransferases adds sialic acid with an alpha-2,3 linkage to galactose, while other sialyltransferases add sialic acid with an alpha-2,6 linkage to galactose or N-acetylgalactosamine. A peculiar type of sialyltransferases add sialic acid to other sialic acid units with an alpha-2,8 linkage, forming structures referred to as polysialic acid. As occurs for other glycosyltransferases, the expression of sialyltransferases undergoes profound modifications during cell differentiation and neoplastic transformation; in some cases such changes induce phenotypic alterations. 
- Gene Ontology http://amigo.geneontology.org/cgi-bin/amigo/term-details.cgi?term=GO:0008373&session_id=4594amigo1245235139
- Accession: GO:0008373
- Ontology: molecular function
- Synonyms: None
- Catalysis of the formation of sialylglycoconjugates via transfer of the sialic acid group from CMP to one of several glycoconjugate acceptors. [source: GOC:jl, ISBN:0721662544]